Similar to North America, the European market has been affected by the loss of the Air New Zealand service via Los Angeles which offered direct connecting Air New Zealand and code-share partner flights with Europe. Unlike North America, European arrivals have steadily declined since termination of this connection. Other factors that have also affected the European market include:
- Ongoing effect of European economic downturn
- Increase in direct holiday charter flights from Europe to a growing number of Asian destinations, making these destinations much more accessible.
- Whereas previously bookings for long-haul were made six to nine months in advance, lead times have reduced significantly.
Similar to North America the key to growth from Europe is improved air access.
- Main focus on trade and OTAs
- Media and Public Relations
- Selected sponsorships to promote awareness
- Collaborative marketing and promotional activity with SPTO/ANTOR and PATA
- Attendance at regular travel expos including WTM and ITB