Samoa Tourism Year 2018 begins with Excellence Awards
The Taumeasina Island Resort secured the ultimate award at the Samoa Tourism Excellence Awards 2018 in its second year. The resort won the National Tourism Excellence Award, overcoming strong competition from two other finalists in Seabreeze Resort and Return to Paradise Resort.
Sponsored by the Government with assistance from some of the various business and coordinated by the Samoa Tourism Authority, the Awards celebrate the outstanding performances of those who have made exceptional contributions to Samoa’s Tourism Industry within the 12 months of the previous year, as measured and judged by visitors and the Tourism Standards Committee during a Survey.
The Survey for this first ever Awards was launched by the Prime Minister last year, and this year were 16 Awards categories including the Overall National Tourism Excellence Awards, with each category having three nominees.
Deputy Prime Minister, Fiame Naomi Mata’afa, presented the main award and congratulated the team at Taumeasina Island Resort who were all incredibly humbled to receive another award. General Manager Nathan Bucknall said their success is all about team work.
“These awards belong to the staff and management at Taumeasina Island Resort who through their hard work, dedication, sleepless nights, and perseverance, have managed to open a brand-new resort in an emerging market and within two years have been recognised by the industry for their hard work,” he said. The General Manager also thanked the government for the great initiative in pushing tourism industry further for the economy of Samoa.
Minister of Tourism, Sala Fata Pinati, reminded that tourism is the mainstay of Samoa’s economy.
“This recalls our commitment to continue developing our ‘beautiful Samoa’ to a place that we are proud to call home and a place that tourists and citizens can enjoy for work, holiday and play in peace and harmony,” said Sala.
“The most important is that ‘we want tourists to tell our stories as the Tusitala Robert Louis Stevenson had done for Samoa and continues to do so from atop Mt. Vaea and the museum’ and let us continue to build a Samoa that makes all Samoans proud to call home.”
The 16 Award Categories were:
1. Best Car Rental - Taumeasina Rentals
2. Best Taxi Service - Ray’s Taxi Stand
3. Best Airport Transfer - Return to Paradise Resort
4. Best Hygiene Award - Taumeasina Island Resort
5. Best Elei Uniform - Return to Paradise Resort
6. Best Cultural Entertainment - Saletoga Sands Resort
7. Best Tour Operator - Chef John Tours
8. Best Attraction Site - Robert Louis Stevenson Museum
9. Best Bar and Hangout - The Edge Marina
10. Best Restaurant - Scallini’s Restaurant
11. Best Beach Fale - Manusina Beach Fales
12. Best Budget - Faofao Beach Fales
13. Best Standard - Lynn’s Getaway
14. Best Superior - Amanaki Hotel
15. Best Deluxe - Seabreeze Resort
16. National Tourism Excellence Award - Taumeasina Island Resort.
The Survey for the Samoa Tourism Excellence Awards 2019 is already on the way.